PATHS-UP Innovation Seed Fund Program
Invitation for Faculty Lead Proposals FY 2019-2020
A portion of the PATHS-UP Innovation Seed Fund has been created to enable the funding of faculty led innovation projects formulated around technologies and problem statements relevant to the vision and mission of PATHS-UP. This fund has been established by the Innovation Ecosystem Team under the advice of the Industry and Practitioner Advisory Board (IPAB) and approved by the Executive leadership team of PATHS-UP.
Seed Fund Proposal submission and award timeline
Proposals Due: October 14, 2019
Awards Announced: November 12, 2019*
Funding Starts: December 1, 2019*
Depending on the quantity and quality of proposal submissions there could be 2 cycles of seed grant funds on an annual basis.
*Revised due to scheduling conflicts.
Seed Fund Project Details
Project duration – 6-12 Months
Funding – Expect to fund 2 faculty lead projects at $25,000 per project in this cycle
Use of funds – Funds can be used for project prototyping supplies/expenses, travel to partner schools and underserved communities or meetings with stakeholders and student salaries.
Types of Projects Considered for Funding
These projects are to be proposed independent of the research that is currently being pursued under the NSF funding for PATHS-UP. The proposed projects should focus on new opportunities or reduction to practice of ERC technologies for a specific product applications, or be related in some way to the advancement of remote health monitoring in the PATHS-UP application areas. Some examples of project foci are described below.
- New research or technologies in any one of the four thrust areas not currently funded
- Field research via immersion to identify new product opportunities
- Ideation, conceptualization, prototyping and feasibility testing of research design
- Building a prototype to evaluate/demonstrate feasibility
- Developing a new method to manufacture or fabricate specific technologies
- Development of unique test beds for characterization and evaluation of relevant technologies and/or products in the PATHS-UP areas
- Development of novel application software for addressing specific data collection, analysis, and data science challenges in remote health monitoring
- Others that fit the scope of the PATHS-UP Vision.
Faculty and Teams
- Preference will be given to junior faculty and/or faculty new to the ERC area
- Faculty are encouraged to work in consult and work with other faculty across ERC partner institutions and across pillars
- Project teams will submit proposals in response to this call using a standard proposal template (attached).
- Proposals should provide clear descriptions of the project goals, methods to be employed, and the deliverables
- The IPAB will review the proposals and recommend the projects for funding in each seed fund cycle
Project Final Review and Innovation Competition
- Faculty will give a 20 min pitch at the end of grant period to IPAB/Boards and allow for 10 minutes of questions.
- Faculty can also compete for follow on funding of the project as a task addition on the ERC or as a new seed funded project.