Vertically Integrated Projects (VIP) Program
PATHS-UP partner schools participate in vertically integrated projects (VIP). This will provide students at the four partner schools the opportunity to participate in PATHS-UP specific multidisciplinary research experiences while earning course credit. These programs build on the strengths of UG research experiences and offer opportunities for more students than would be possible with the one-to-one mentoring model characteristic of most UG research programs. Vertically-integrated UG research projects have the following elements:
- students participate at multiple levels (freshman, sophomore, junior, senior) on the same team with graduate students;
- projects are based on PATHS-UP faculty mentor’s research;
- research projects are long-term and large-scale (to accommodate sizable undergraduate teams);
- participants earn degree credits;
- all student work is graded; and
- learning outcomes focus on the development of both disciplinary and 21st century professional skills.